Chief Financial Officer
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
As a key member of the Executive Management team, the Chief Financial Officer will report to the President and assume a strategic role in the overall management of the company. The CFO will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities of the company. This will include direct responsibility for accounting, finance, forecasting, strategic planning, job costing, legal, property management, deal analysis and negotiations, investor relationships and partnership compliance and private and institutional financing.
- BS in Accounting or Finance, MBA and/or CPA highly desirable
- 10+ years of experience in Finance / Accounting; including a minimum of five (5) years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles in a management capacity, preferably in real estate development, property management, and/ or construction industry.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategy, Planning and Management
- Act as Chief Financial Officer and strategic business partner to senior executive leadership team.
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of organization with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts.
- Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plan of organization.
- Identify, acquire and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information.
- Evaluate departments and make suggestions for automating processes and increasing working efficiency.
- Communicate, engage and interact with Senior Leadership Team and company Managers
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the company’s plan for growth and expansion.
- Select and engage consultants, auditors and investors.
- Recruit, interview and hire finance, accounting and payroll staff as required.
- Serve as a key member of executive leadership team and round table discussion panel.
- Participate in pivotal decisions as they relate to strategic initiatives and operational models.
- Interact with and bring department into line with plans, initiatives and recommendations.
- Implement policies, procedures and processes as deemed appropriate by senior leadership team.
- Management of Vendor Relationships
- Oversees Purchasing Management function.
Financial Analysis, Budgeting and Forecasting
- Prepare and present monthly financial budgeting reports including monthly profit and loss by division, forecast vs. budget by division.
- Manages weekly cash flow by division.
- Review and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations.
- Identify, develop and execute analysis of business initiatives, product launches and/or new service offerings.
- Develop and maintain monthly operating budget and annual company operating budget.
- Supervise creation of reports, software implementation and tools for budgeting and forecasting.
- Participate in calls with Lenders, Vendors and Executive Leadership Team.
Accounting, General Ledger, Administration and Operations
- Supervise the accounting department to ensure the proper functioning of all systems, databases and financial software. Provide regular maintenance and backup of all accounting systems and supervise company financial staff.
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls, SOX compliance and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting data
- Oversee the preparation and communication of weekly, monthly and annual financial statements.
- Oversee the preparation and timely filing of all local, state and federal tax returns.
- Ensure SOX compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Work with Human Resources to ensure appropriate legal compliance.
- Oversee the month-end close process, constantly reviewing procedures while eliminating inefficiencies.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts and overhead cost allocation.
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems
- Develop, manage and motivate Accounting and Finance Staff and Managers. Manages work allocation, systems training, performance evaluations, and the building of an effective and efficient team dynamic.
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits.
- Manage cash flow planning process and ensure funds availability.
- Oversee cash, investments and asset management area.
- Explore new investment opportunities and provide recommendations on potential returns and risks.
- Maintain outstanding banking relationships and strategic alliances with vendors and business partners.
- Utilize forward-looking models and activity-based analyses to provide financial insight into the organization’s plans and operating budgets.
Financial Relations and Policies
- Represent company to banks, financial partners, institutions, investors, public auditors and officials.
- Remain current on audit best practices as well as state, federal and local laws regarding company operations.
- Oversee weekly cash management and AP Department, approve large payables, sign checks, authorize large wires and ACHs
- Supervise Accounts Receivable management and provide guidance relating to the collection process
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence and executive presence – ability to motivate staff.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and creative skills. Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Possess unique ability and desire to think and execute in both a strategic and tactical way with a “No job is too big and no job is too small” mentality
- PC proficiency is essential (Windows environment) and strong working knowledge of Quickbooks, E-Pay and Excel is preferred.
- “Hands On” ERP Systems Experience - Systems implementation experience strongly preferred.